Today also marks what would have been the 54th birthday for Michael Hutchence, the singer of the Australian new wave/alt rock pioneering band INXS. In addition to his vocal talents for INXS, rumor has it that Oliver Stone was thinking about casting Michael to play the part of Jim Morrison in the movie rendition of The Doors, but due to Michael’s inability to put his Australian accent aside, Mr. Hutchence was passed over for Val Kilmer. A man who truly embodied the rock ‘n roll lifestyle, Mr. Hutchence passed away in 1998. RIP Michael – the world hasn’t been the same without you.
If you spent a good amount of your teenage years worshiping the Fab Five, then you’ve come to the right list. It’s time to dig deep into your subconscious closets and fess up to all the crazy things you did for the wild boys.
1. You and your friends proudly embraced the “Duranie” label.
2. At least one of your bedroom walls was covered floor to ceiling in D2 posters.
You, of course, referred to them as D2 or Duran2.
3. Your shirt said ‘I ♥ John Taylor’ on the back.
… or ‘I ♥ Simon LeBon’. Possibly even ‘I ♥ John, Simon, Nick, Andy and Roger’.
4. You thought you looked damned sexy in one of these.
5. Anything you were wearing was covered in these.
Your shirt, your hat, your prom dress…
6. You bought every teen magazine you could find that had poster pullouts.
And if you were really lucky, you had a friend who was a Menudo or Def Leppard fan who would trade extra posters with you from their magazines.
7. You screamed. A lot. Maybe even fainted once or twice.
At concerts. Watching MTV. Listening to the radio. Seeing a guy walking down the street from the back who you were convinced was John Taylor. So, pretty much you screamed when anything happened that was remotely D2 related.
8. You disowned John for a short period after you saw these.
9. You had Duran Duran birthday parties.
Andy, Feb 16
Roger, April 26
Nick, June 8
John, June 20
Simon, October 27
10. You had parties if there was a new moon on a monday.
11. You had every record variation, 12” and import you could find.
Even the ‘side projects’.
12. You knew every lyric to every song, proving true fan-dom if you mastered ‘New Religion’.
13. You knew all the ‘b-sides’.
The Chauffeur, Faster Than Light, Secret Oktober, Khanada, Make Me Smile =)
14. You’d only sing the Simon part of ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas’.
15. You posed for photos to recreate images of the band.
16. Patrick Nagel became your favorite artist.
17. You think current day Duranies are just groupies.
18. You don’t acknowledge any album from here on.
19. They still make you weak in the knees.
20. It’s been 30 years, and nothing’s changed.
21. And you still feel a little like this whenever you hear them.
INXS – Need you Tonight
INXS Fan Forever!
Sooo, I just finished reading In the Pleasure Groove: Love, Death and Duran Duran. I loved it. I have been in love With Bass God John Taylor of Duran Duran for 100 years. It was amazing to go on this journey of all the trials and tribulations Duran Duran and mainly John went through. Anyway I don’t want to spoil it for anyone that hasn’t read it yet, but for the hardcore Duranie this is a must read!
- Duran Duran’s John Taylor back ‘In the Pleasure Groove’ with paperback edition (Video) (examiner.com)
- In The Pleasure Groove – Love, Death & Duran Duran (bookfanaticandmoviemaniac.wordpress.com)
- Duran Duran’s John Taylor returning to Twitter for book chat (examiner.com)